U.S. Senator Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.), Chair of the Subcommittee on Communications, Media and Broadband, will convene a subcommittee hearing titled “Protecting Americans from Robocalls” on Tuesday, October 24, 2023, at 10:00 AM ET.
Robocalls aren’t just a nuisance. Robocalls defraud Americans out of billions of dollars every year. In 1991, Congress passed the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and more recently, the Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act of 2019. These two pieces of legislation sought to protect Americans from predatory and annoying robocalls and give federal agencies the tools to fight back against the robocallers. However, there is a growing risk from robotexts, targeted attacks and generative artificial intelligence. This hearing will examine how robocallers are evading enforcement, consider public-private efforts to combat illegal robocalls and investigate what next steps are needed to protect Americans from fraudulent and illegal text messages and calls.
- Margot Saunders, Senior Attorney, National Consumer Law Center
- Megan Brown, Partner, Wiley Rein, U.S. Chamber of Commerce representative
- Josh Bercu, Executive Director, Industry Traceback Group; Vice President Policy and Advocacy, USTelecom
- Mike Rudolph, Chief Technology Officer, YouMail
WHAT: Communications, Media and Broadband Subcommittee Hearing on Robocalls
DATE: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
TIME: 10:00 AM ET
LOCATION: Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
LIVESTREAM: The hearing will stream live on the Committee website, Twitter and YouTube.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Margot SaundersNational Consumer Law Center
Megan BrownWiley Rein, U.S. Chamber of Commerce representative
Josh BercuIndustry Traceback Group; USTelecom