WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, will convene a full committee hearing titled “Enhancing Data Security” at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 6, 2021. This hearing is the second in a series examining the growing urgency to protect consumer privacy and safeguard our data, as well as the need to ensure the Federal Trade Commission is equipped with the authorities and resources to fight digital harms and hold bad actors accountable for increasing privacy violations, data breaches, internet scams, ransomware assaults and other harmful data abuses. The hearing will address major recent cybersecurity incidents, the impact of data breaches on consumers and businesses, and the current state of commercial data security practices.
- James E. Lee, Chief Operating Officer, Identity Theft Resource Center
- Jessica Rich, Of Counsel, Kelley Drye; Former Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission
- Edward W. Felten, Robert E. Kahn Professor of Computer Science and Public Affairs, Princeton University; Former Chief Technologist, Federal Trade Commission
- Kate Tummarello, Executive Director, Engine
Wednesday, October 6, 2021
10:00 a.m. EDT
Full Committee (hybrid)
Commerce Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVESTREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream. Social distancing is now lifted for vaccinated members of the press who wish to attend. The Office of the Attending Physician recommends that all individuals wear masks while in interior spaces and other individuals are present.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
James E. LeeChief Operating OfficerIdentity Theft Resource Center
Jessica RichOf CounselKelley Drye
Edward W. FeltenRobert E. Kahn Professor of Computer Science and Public AffairsPrinceton University
Kate TummarelloExecutive DirectorEngine