Subcommittee: Landsat at 50 & the Future of U.S. Satellite-based Earth Observation
U.S. Senator John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.), Chair of the Subcommittee on Space and Science, will convene a subcommittee hearing titled “Landsat at 50 & the Future of U.S. Satellite-based Earth Observation” at 10:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, December 1, 2022. This subcommittee hearing will highlight critical Earth Observation (EO) data provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States Geological Survey (USGS), which recently celebrated Landsat’s 50th Anniversary. The hearing will also discuss the rise of commercial providers and improving access to EO data to spur economic growth. Finally, the hearing will highlight EO value-added services enabling precision agriculture, improved city planning, water management, wildland fire prevention and detection, and disaster response.
- Steve Volz, Assistant Administrator for Satellite and Information Services and Acting Assistant Secretary for Environmental Observation and Prediction, NOAA
- Kate Calvin, Chief Scientist, NASA
- Daniel Jablonsky, President and Chief Executive Officer, Maxar Technologies
- Kevin Gallagher, Associate Director, Core Science Systems, USGS
- Waleed Abdalati, Director, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, University of Colorado
Subcommittee on Space and Science
Thursday, December 1, 2022
10:30 a.m. ET
Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVE STREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Dr. Steve VolzNOAA
Dr. Kate CalvinNASA
Daniel JablonskyMaxar Technologies
Dr. Waleed AbdalatiUniversity of Colorado