WASHINGTON, D.C.— U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), the Chair of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security, will convene a hearing titled, “Protecting Kids Online: Internet Privacy and Manipulative Marketing” at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. Skyrocketing screen time has deepened parents’ concerns about their children’s online safety, privacy, and wellbeing. Apps such as TikTok, Facebook Messenger, and Instagram draw younger audiences onto their platforms raising concerns about how their data is being used and how marketers are targeting them. This hearing will examine the issues posed by Big Tech, child-oriented apps, and manipulative influencer marketing. The hearing will also explore needed improvements to our laws and enforcement, such as the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, child safety codes, and the Federal Trade Commission’s advertising disclosure guidance.
- Ms. Angela Campbell, Professor Emeritus, Georgetown Law
- Mr. Serge Egelman, Research Director, Usable Security and Privacy, International Computer Science Institute, University of California Berkeley
- Ms. Beeban Kidron, Founder and Chair, 5Rights
*Witness list subject to change
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
10:00 a.m. EDT
Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security (Hybrid)
This hearing will take place in the Russell Senate Office Building 253. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.commerce.senate.gov.
*In order to maintain physical distancing as advised by the Office of the Attending Physician, seating for credentialed press will be limited throughout the course of the markup. Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this markup via the live stream.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Ms. Angela CampbellProfessor EmeritusGeorgetown Law
Mr. Serge EgelmanResearch Director, Usable Security and PrivacyInternational Computer Science Institute, University of California Berkeley
Ms. Beeban KidronFounder and Chair5Rights