Subcommittee: Disrupting Dangerous Algorithms: Addressing the Harms of Persuasive Technology
UPDATE: Out of deference to the passing of former Senator Bob Dole, who will lie in state in the Rotunda beginning at 10 AM, this hearing will now begin at 10:45 a.m.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senator Ben Ray Luján (D-NM), Chair of the Subcommittee on Communications, Media, and Broadband will convene a hearing titled, “Disrupting Dangerous Algorithms: Addressing the Harms of Persuasive Technology,” at 10:45 a.m. on Thursday, December 9, 2021. This hearing will consider legislative solutions that address the dangers of online platforms’ use of technology to manipulate user experiences. Witnesses will discuss the need for greater transparency of automated processes and artificial intelligence, as well as policies to make platforms accountable for their use of algorithms designed to optimize engagement over harm to users.
- Ms. Jessica J. González, Co-CEO, Free Press
- Ms. Rose Jackson, Director, Democracy & Tech Initiative, Digital Forensic Research Lab, Atlantic Council
- Dr. Dean Eckles, Associate Professor of Marketing, MIT Sloan School of Management
- Mr. James Poulos, Executive Editor of the American Mind, The Claremont Institute
Subcommittee on Communications, Media, and Broadband
Thursday, December 9, 2021
Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVE STREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream. Social distancing is now lifted for vaccinated members of the press who wish to attend. The Office of the Attending Physician recommends that all individuals wear masks while in interior spaces and other individuals are present
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Ms. Jessica J. GonzálezCo-CEOFree Press
James PoulosExecutive Editor of the American MindThe Claremont Institute
Dr. Dean EcklesAssociate Professor of MarketingMIT Sloan School of Management
Rose JacksonDirector, Democracy & Tech InitiativeDigital Forensic Research Lab, Atlantic Council