WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Chair of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security will convene a hearing titled “Protecting Kids Online: Snapchat, TikTok, and YouTube” at 10:00 am on Tuesday, October 26, 2021. Children and teens face immense peer pressure to be on apps such as Snapchat, TikTok, and YouTube. While social media can provide entertainment and educational opportunities, these apps have also been misused to harm kids and promote destructive acts, such as vandalism in schools, deadly viral challenges, bullying, eating disorders, manipulative influencer marketing, and grooming. This hearing will examine how tech companies treat young audiences, including how algorithms and product design choices can amplify harms, addiction, and intrusions into privacy. The hearing will also explore needed improvements to our laws to protect children and teenagers online.
- Jennifer Stout, Vice President of Global Public Policy, Snap Inc.
- Michael Beckerman, Vice President and Head of Public Policy, Americas, TikTok
- Leslie Miller, Vice President, Government Affairs and Public Policy, YouTube
Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVESTREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream. Social distancing is now lifted for vaccinated members of the press who wish to attend. The Office of the Attending Physician recommends that all individuals wear masks while in interior spaces and other individuals are present.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Jennifer StoutVice President of Global Public PolicySnap Inc
Michael BeckermanVice President and Head of Public Policy, AmericasTikTok
Leslie MillerVice President, Government Affairs and Public PolicyYouTube