U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., chairman of the Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, and Consumer Protection, will convene a hearing titled, “Protecting Americans from COVID-19 Scams,” at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 21, 2020. The hearing will examine the rise of scams that are occurring during the COVID-19 pandemic. Witnesses will have the opportunity to discuss ways businesses and federal and state governments are combatting COVID-19 related scams and what more can be done to protect the public.
- Mr. Andrew Smith, Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission
- Mr. Derek Schmidt, Attorney General, State of Kansas
- Mr. Stu Sjouwerman, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, KnowBe4, Inc.
- Ms. Catherine Hermsen, Assistant Commissioner of Criminal Investigations, Food and Drug Administration (*Witness will participate in writing)
- Ms. Laura MacCleery, Policy Director, Center for Science in the Public Interest
*Witness list subject to change
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, and Consumer Protection
This hearing will take place in the Dirksen Senate Office Building G50. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.commerce.senate.gov.
*In order to maintain physical distancing as advised by the Office of the Attending Physician, seating for credentialed press will be limited throughout the course of the hearing. Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream.
**Witness list updated 7/20/2020
Witness Panel 1
Mr. Andrew SmithDirectorBureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission
Mr. Derek SchmidtAttorney GeneralState of Kansas
Mr. Stu SjouwermanFounder and Chief Executive OfficerKnowBe4, Inc.
Ms. Catherine HermsenAssistant Commissioner of Criminal InvestigationsFood and Drug Administration
Ms. Laura MacCleeryPolicy DirectorCenter for Science in the Public Interest