Committee Approves Industries of the Future Act, Five Other Bills
March 11, 2020
WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, today released the following statement after the committee approved six bills and Coast Guard promotions, which are now all subject to approval by the full Senate.
“I am pleased that the committee approved several promotions and important bills today, including the Industries of the Future Act,” Wicker said. “Advances in science and technology have a strong influence over the economy, national security, and our quality of life. This legislation would put in place a plan to bolster emerging technologies by spurring investments in research, development, and innovation. I thank Senator Gardner, Senator Baldwin, and Senator Peters for their efforts on this bill and their dedication to promoting American leadership in science and technology.”
Bills and nominations considered are as follows (approved by voice vote unless otherwise noted):
1. S. 1046, Advancing Critical Connectivity Expands Service, Small Business Resources, Opportunities, Access, and Data Based on Assessed Need and Demand (ACCESS BROADBAND) Act, Sponsors: Sens. Catherine Cortez Masto, D-Nev., Cory Gardner, R-Colo., Ron Johnson, R-Wis., Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., Gary Peters, D-Mich.
2. S. 3132, To extend the Undertaking Spam, Spyware, And Fraud Enforcement With Enforcers beyond Borders (US SAFEWEB) Act of 2006, Sponsors: Sens. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.
3. S. 3191, Industries of the Future Act of 2020, Sponsors: Sens. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., Cory Gardner, R-Colo., Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., Gary Peters, D-Mich.
4. S. 3248, United States Anti-Doping Agency Reauthorization Act, Sponsors: Sens. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.
Udall 1 (modified)
5. S. 3303, Promoting Service in Transportation Act, Sponsors: Sens. Gary Peters, D-Mich., Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., Cory Gardner, R-Colo.
Lee 2 (modified)
6. H.R. 835, The Rodchenkov Anti-Doping Act, Sponsor: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas
7. Coast Guard Promotions