WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, will convene a hearing titled, “The Reauthorization of STELAR,” at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 23, 2019. This hearing will examine policy considerations for reauthorizing the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELAR) before the law expires at the end of the year and how to ensure Americans living beyond the reach of a broadcast signal maintain access to local programming. In addition, witnesses will discuss the effectiveness of STELAR’s good faith requirement and other targeted video marketplace reforms Congress should consider in the next STELAR reauthorization.
- Ms. Emily Barr, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Graham Media Group and Chairwoman, Television Board, National Association of Broadcasters
- Mr. Denny Law, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager, Golden West Telecommunications
- Mr. Jonathan Schwantes, Senior Policy Counsel, Consumer Reports
- Mr. Robert Thun, Senior Vice President of Content and Programming, AT&T
- Mr. J.C. Watts, Chairman and Co-Founder, The Black News Channel
*Witness list subject to change
Wednesday, October 23, 2019
Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
This hearing will take place in the Hart Senate Office Building 216. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.commerce.senate.gov.
*Note: Witness added 10/22/19