U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), chairman of the Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and the Coast Guard, will convene a hearing titled “Fish Fights: An Examination of Conflicts Over Ocean Resources,” at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, September 18, 2018. This hearing will focus on conflict and crime in global fisheries. Specifically, the hearing will examine current pressure on fishery resources, geographic areas where conflict is likely to arise, state and non-state actors involved in conflict and criminal activity associated with seafood scarcity, measures being taken to address the conflict and criminal activity, any barriers to such measures, and what more could be done.
- Vice Admiral Daniel B. Abel, Deputy Commandant for Operations, U.S. Coast Guard
- Ambassador David Balton, Woodrow Wilson Center
- Dr. Bama Athreya, Labor and Employee Rights Specialist, U.S. Agency for International Development
- Dr. Paul Doremus, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Operations, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA
*Witness list subject to change.
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and the Coast Guard
This hearing will take place in Russell Senate Office Building, Room 253. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.commerce.senate.gov.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Vice Admiral Daniel AbelDeputy Commandant for OperationsU.S. Coast Guard
Ambassador David BaltonWoodrow Wilson Center
Dr. Bama AthreyaLabor and Employee Rights SpecialistU.S. Agency for International Development
Dr. Paul DoremusDeputy Assistant Administrator for OperationsNational Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA