U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), ranking member of the Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet, will convene a hearing titled “Hawaii False Missile Alert: What Happened and What Should We Do Next?” at 10:00 a.m. HST on Thursday, April 5, 2018, in Honolulu, Hawaii. In January, the full committee examined policy concerns surrounding the use and effectiveness of the Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alerts after a false ballistic missile threat alert was sent to Hawaii residents on January 13, 2018. The field hearing, which Schatz requested in January, will focus specifically on the failure of the Hawaii emergency alert system and explore options to improve alerts to ensure public safety.
“This hearing is about moving forward and fixing the emergency alert system,” Schatz said. “By bringing together state and federal officials, we can understand what happened, what resources are needed to make it right, and how we can improve the system overall.”
- The Honorable Jessica Rosenworcel, Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission
- Rear Admiral Patrick A. Piercey, United States Pacific Command, U.S. Department of Defense
- Ms. Nicole McGinnis, Deputy Chief, Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau, Federal Communications Commission
- Mr. Antwane Johnson, Director, Continuity Communications Division, Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Major General Arthur J. “Joe” Logan, Adjutant General, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency
- Mr. Chris Leonard, President & Legislative Chair, Hawaii Association of Broadcasters, Inc.
*Witness list and panels subject to change.
Thursday, April 5, 2018
10 A.M. HST
Full Committee Hearing
East-West Center, Keoni Auditorium
1601 East-West Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96848
The hearing is open to credentialed media and the public. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on https://www.facebook.com/SenateCommerce/.
Witness Panel 1
The Honorable Jessica RosenworcelCommissionerFederal Communications Commission
Witness Panel 2
Rear Admiral Patrick A. PierceyUnited States Pacific Command, U.S. Department of Defense
Ms. Nicole McGinnisDeputy ChiefPublic Safety and Homeland Security Bureau, Federal Communications Commission
Mr. Antwane JohnsonDirectorContinuity Communications Division, Federal Emergency Management Agency
Witness Panel 3
Major General Arthur J. “Joe” LoganAdjutant GeneralHawaii Emergency Management Agency