WASHINGTON – Today the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved legislation reforming and reauthorizing the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) through 2023, and bills reauthorizing a successful drought information initiative and earthquake hazards reduction. The committee also voted to confirm the nominee to serve as Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere and numerous Coast Guard promotions subject to Senate confirmation.
Bills and nominations considered are as follows (approved by voice vote unless otherwise noted):
1. S. 2202, National Transportation Safety Board Reauthorization Act, Sponsors: Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Deb Fischer (R-Neb), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.)
2. S. 2200, National Integrated Drought Information System Reauthorization Act of 2018, Sponsor: Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.)
3. S. 1768, National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program Reauthorization Act of 2017, Sponsors: Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.)
4. Nomination of Barry Lee Myers, of Pennsylvania, to be Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere (agreed by roll call vote: 14-13)
5. Nominations for Promotion in the United States Coast Guard