WASHINGTON – The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation today approved 10 bills, including the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act which maximizes science research by reducing administrative burdens for researchers, enhancing agency oversight, improving research dissemination, and reforming federal science agencies to increase the impact of taxpayer-funded research. The committee also approved two nominations.
Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), chairman of the Commerce Committee, issued the following statement on the markup:
“The committee’s passage of the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act puts important enhancements for federal research and our economic competitiveness one step closer to becoming law,” said Thune. “The bipartisan efforts of the bill’s two lead sponsors, Sen. Cory Gardner and Sen. Gary Peters, made today’s committee passage possible.
“Working on a bipartisan basis, the members of the Commerce Committee once again approved legislation and qualified nominees to advance the goal of more accountability and common sense in government.”
Bills and nominations approved are as follows (all approved by voice vote):
1. S. 3084, The American Innovation and Competitiveness Act, Sponsors: Sens. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Gary Peters (D-Mich.), John Thune (R-S.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)
2. S. 827, Improving Rural Call Quality and Reliability Act of 2015, Sponsors: Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Angus King (Ind-Maine), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.)
3. S. 2997, Securing Access to Networks in Disasters Act of 2016, Sponsors: Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)
4. S. 1717, to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels from certain requirements if improvements made, Sponsors: Sens. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), David Vitter (R-La.)
5. S. 3088, Deadline for Compliance with Alternative Safety Compliance Program, Sponsors: Sens. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)
6. S. 3087, American Fisheries Advisory Committee Act, Sponsors: Sens. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)
7. S. 3059, Marine Mammal Research and Response Act of 2016, Sponsors: Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska)
8. S. 2219, The Outdoor Recreation Jobs and Economic Impact Act of 2015, Sponsors: Sens. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Steve Daines (D-Mont.), Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Gary Peters (D-Mich.), Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.)
9. S. 3086, A bill to reauthorize and amend the Marine Debris Act to promote international action to reduce marine debris and for other purposes, Sponsor: Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.)
10. S.3099, Access for Sportfishing Act of 2016, Sponsors: Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.)
11. Nomination of Peggy E. Gustafson to be Inspector General, Department of Commerce
12. Nomination of Michael A. Khouri to be a Federal Maritime Commissioner (reappointment)
Click here for additional information on nominees.