During an Executive Session today, the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation approved 11 bipartisan bills, including legislation aimed at protecting children’s online privacy: the Children and Teens’ Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA 2.0) and the Kids Online Safety Act (KOSA). Other important bills approved included the AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act, the ORBITS Act, the TICKET Act, the COOL Online Act and several manufacturing bills. These bills now head to the Senate floor.
During her opening remarks, Sen. Cantwell talked about the importance of advancing children’s online privacy legislation and pledged to bring additional privacy measures before the Committee when members return after recess.
“We know that children and teens are uniquely vulnerable in the online world and they can be overwhelmed with the complexities of online content that is manipulated and targeted at them,” Sen. Cantwell said about COPPA 2.0. “This bill strengthens protections, closes loopholes, and makes sure that we are focusing on children in a broader range of ages. It also helps protect and empowers teens, requiring consent before their data can be collected. We must ensure that we can provide better protections.”
“We have listened to many parents about their support of KOSA legislation and making sure that parents are empowered with tools they need to help protect the well-being of their children,” Sen. Cantwell said. “I’ve heard from some advocates, particularly some in the LGBTQ community, about continuing concerns with this legislation, and we will continue to work with them on this.”
“…This bill isn’t the last of privacy issues that we will consider in this Committee and we hope that when we return in September, we will be considering many more other issues related to this as well,” Sen. Cantwell added.
View Senator Cantwell’s full opening statement here.
The following actions were taken during today’s Executive Session.
- S. 447, ORBITS Act of 2023, as amended by:
- S. 484, Combating Human Rights Abuses Act of 2023
- S. 1153, The National Manufacturing Advisory Council for the 21st Century Act, as amended by:
- S. 1303, TICKET Act, as amended by:
- S. 1418, Children and Teens’ Online Privacy Protection Act, as amended by:
- S. 1648, Launch Communications Act, as amended by:
- S. 1669, AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023, as amended by:
- S. 2116, Strengthening Support for American Manufacturing Act, as amended by:
- S. 2201, the American Cybersecurity Literacy Act, as amended by:
- S. 1421, Country of Origin Online Labeling Act, as amended by:
- S. 1409, Kids Online Safety Act, as amended by: