U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Chair of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security, will convene a hearing titled, “Ensuring Fairness and Transparency in the Market for Prescription Drugs,” at 10 a.m. on Thursday, May 5, 2022. Pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) have been described as “the black box” in the market for prescription drugs. How PBMs operate, and the lack of transparency about how they operate, have contributed to higher drug prices for consumers. This hearing will examine steps Congress can take to increase transparency in drug prices, require PBMs to operate fairly, and ensure the Federal Trade Commission has the authority it needs to stop unfair practices in the prescription drug market.
- David Balto, Antitrust Attorney, David A. Balto Law Offices
- Robin Feldman, Professor and Researcher, UC Hastings College of Law
- Craig Garthwaite, Professor and Director of the Program on Healthcare, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- JC Scott, President and CEO, Pharmaceutical Care Management Association
Commerce Committee Hearing
Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security
10 a.m. EDT
Thursday, May 5, 2022
Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVE STREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.