U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), Chair of the Subcommittee on Oceans, Fisheries, Climate Change and Manufacturing, will convene a subcommittee hearing titled “Promoting and Investing in Small American Manufacturers” on Tuesday, December 13, 2022, at 2 p.m. ET.
American manufacturers are bringing jobs back to the United States at an increasing pace, with 350,000 jobs expected to have returned in 2022. The CHIPS and Science Act aimed to accelerate this trend, not only by strengthening American chip manufacturing but also by creating an ecosystem that would continue to attract domestic production. This hearing will explore the role of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in advancing domestic manufacturing and the potential support that the Commerce Department can provide through its Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP), Manufacturing USA (MUSA) initiative and other Department of Commerce programs.
The hearing will highlight investments and policies to help SMEs better compete, including: new MEP authorities to support workforce development, cybersecurity and supply chain management; policies to promote domestic production of MUSA-supported technologies; and the potential to encourage regional economic development, modernize and expand US manufacturing and increase the commercialization of federally-supported innovative research.
- Ms. Carrie Hines, President and CEO, American Small Manufacturers Coalition
- Dr. Kelvin Lee, Institute Director, National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals
- Mr. David Vasko, Senior Director for Advanced Technology, Rockwell Automation
- Dr. Sujai Shivakumar, Director and Senior Fellow, Renewing American Innovation Project
- Mr. C. Todd Zakreski, President, HUSCO Automotive
Subcommittee on Oceans, Fisheries, Climate Change and Manufacturing
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
2 p.m. ET
Committee Hearing Room, Russell 253
WATCH LIVE STREAM: www.commerce.senate.gov
Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Carrie HinesAmerican Small Manufacturers Coalition
Dr. Kelvin LeeNational Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals
David VaskoRockwell Automation
Dr. Sujai ShivakumarRenewing American Innovation Project
C. Todd ZakreskiHUSCO Automotive