U.S. Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, will convene a hearing on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. titled “The Promises and Perils of Emerging Technologies for Cybersecurity.” This hearing will explore the impact of emerging technologies, including artificial intelligence, the internet of things, blockchain, and quantum computing, on the future of cybersecurity. The hearing intends to launch a discussion about how technologies like these present new cyber vulnerabilities but also innovative opportunities to combat cyber threats more effectively.
- The Honorable Eric Rosenbach, Former Chief of Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense; Former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Global Security
- Mr. Caleb Barlow, Vice President, Threat Intelligence, IBM Security
- Mr. Venky Ganesan, Chair, National Venture Capital Association; Partner, Menlo Ventures
- Mr. Steve Grobman, Chief Technology Officer and Intel Fellow, Intel Security
- Mr. Malcolm Harkins, Chief Security and Trust Officer, Cylance Corporation
* Witness list subject to change
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
The hearing will be held in Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 106. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on this page.
Witness Panel 1
The Honorable Eric RosenbachFormer Chief of Staff, Office of the Secretary of DefenseFormer Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Global Security
Mr. Caleb BarlowVice President, Threat IntelligenceIBM Security
Mr. Venky GanesanChair, National Venture Capital AssociationPartner, Menlo Ventures
Mr. Steve GrobmanChief Technology Officer and Intel FellowIntel Security
Mr. Malcolm HarkinsChief Security and Trust OfficerCylance Corporation
Chairman John Thune