WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), chairman of the Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness, will convene a hearing on Tuesday, February 24, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. entitled “U.S. Human Exploration Goals and Commercial Space Competitiveness.” Former NASA astronauts including Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the Moon and the pilot of Apollo 11, and leaders in the commercial space industry will provide their testimony.
“I look forward to Tuesday's hearing, which will provide both the Space, Science, and Competitiveness Subcommittee and the American people a great opportunity to reflect on the past, analyze the present, and examine the future of space travel in the United States,” said Cruz in calling the hearing. “We will look to ensure that NASA and commercial space have clear and consistent mission objectives and can continue to work alongside our international partners, but not be dependent on them. America should once again lead the way for the world in space exploration.”
The hearing will examine the United States’ goals in human space exploration, including the role of the commercial space industry and its contributions to U.S. global competitiveness. Among other issues, the hearing will discuss the importance of a sound exploration strategy that involves NASA, partnerships with international allies, and innovation and competitiveness in the U.S. commercial space sector. The hearing will also examine whether updates are needed to the Commercial Space Launch Act.
· Col. Walt Cunningham (USMC, Ret.), Former NASA Astronaut and Apollo 7 Pilot;
· Col. Buzz Aldrin (USAF, Ret.), Former NASA Astronaut and Apollo 11 Pilot; and
· Mr. Michael Massimino, Former NASA Astronaut and Mission Specialist for Space Shuttle Program.
· Mr. John Elbon, Vice President and General Manager, Boeing Space Exploration;
· Dr. Scott Pace, Director, Space Policy Institute, Elliott School of International Affairs, The George Washington University; and
· Mr. Eric Stallmer, President, Commercial Spaceflight Federation.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competiveness hearing entitled “U.S. Human Exploration Goals and Commercial Space Competitiveness”
This hearing will take place in Senate Russell Office Building, Room 253. Witness testimony, opening statements and a live video of the hearing will be available on this page.
For reporters interested in reserving a seat, please contact the press gallery:
• Periodical Press Gallery – 202-224-0265
• Radio/Television Gallery – 202-224-6421
• Press Photographers Gallery – 202-224-6548
• Daily Press Gallery – 202-224-0241
Please note the hearing will be webcast live via the Senate Commerce Committee website. Refresh the Commerce Committee homepage 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to automatically begin streaming the webcast.
Individuals with disabilities who require an auxiliary aid or service, including closed captioning service for the webcast hearing, should contact Stephanie Gamache at 202-224-5511 at least three business days in advance of the hearing date.