The PACT Act and Section 230: The Impact of the Law that Helped Create the Internet and an Examination of Proposed Reforms for Today’s Online World
10:00 AM Dirksen Senate Office Building 106
U.S. Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., chairman of the Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet, will convene a hearing titled, “The PACT Act and Section 230: The Impact of the Law that Helped Create the Internet and an Examination of Proposed Reforms for Today’s Online World,” at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 28, 2020. The hearing will examine the important role of Section 230 in promoting and disseminating speech online, and the history, evolution, and expansion of Section 230’s protections for online platforms. The hearing will provide an opportunity to discuss ways to ensure platforms are accountable for their content moderation practices and what legislative measures, from transparency to accountability tools, can empower consumers online.
- The Honorable Christopher Cox, Counsel, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP; Director, NetChoice
- Mr. Jeff Kosseff, Assistant Professor, Cyber Science Department, United States Naval Academy
- Mr. Olivier Sylvain, Professor of Law, Fordham University
- Ms. Elizabeth Banker, Deputy General Counsel, Internet Association
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
This hearing will take place in the Dirksen Senate Office Building 106. Witness testimony, opening statements, and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.commerce.senate.gov.
*In order to maintain physical distancing as advised by the Office of the Attending Physician, seating for credentialed press will be limited throughout the course of the hearing. Due to current limited access to the Capitol complex, the general public is encouraged to view this hearing via the live stream.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
The Honorable Christopher CoxCounsel, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLPDirector, NetChoice
Mr. Jeff KosseffAssistant ProfessorCyber Science Department, United States Naval Academy
Mr. Olivier SylvainProfessor of LawFordham University
Ms. Elizabeth BankerDeputy General CounselInternet Association